In GURPS an Advantage is a trait which provides access to a power or ability. Advantages often do not have a Success Roll associated with them though some do—such as Warp. Advantages cost Character Points, and a single point cost advantage is called a perk.
Most advantages cost roughly between 10 and 20 points. Though some particularly useful advantages such as Unkillable or Supernatural Durability cost over 100 points.
Some advantages are leveled, such as Damage Reduction and Night Vision.
The different types of Advantages are as follows:
- Mental: originates from your mind, or perhaps even your soul
- Physical: linked to your actual body
- Social: associated with your identity
- Mundane: inborn or learned edges and knacks that anyone in the real world might have. Examples: Double-Jointed or Photographic memory level of Eidetic Memory
- Exotic: might exist in reality. For example the Affliction advantage might be used to represent the poisonous bite of a natural animal
- Supernatural: Not realistic and would be unusual in the real world if they exist at all. Generally limited to supernatural or cinematic settings Examples: Precognition or Supernatural Durability