Attributes are the basic characteristics of a GURPS character.
- Strength [ST] (10 points +- = 1 ST)
- Dexterity [DX] (20 points +- = 1 DX)
- Intelligence [IQ] (20 points +- = 1 IQ)
- Health [HT] (10 points +- = 1 HT)
Defined on the next few pages, along with information on Size Modifiers, Wealth, Tech Levels, and other basic statistics.
- Hit Points [HP]: normally equivalent to ST (±2 points per ±1 HP)
- Will: normally equivalent to IQ (±5 points ±1 Will)
- Perception (Per): normally equivalent to IQ (±5 points ±1 Perception)
- Fatigue Points [FP]: normally equivalent to HT (±3 points ±1 FP).
- Basic Speed: normally (HT+DX)/4 (±5 points per ±0.25 Speed)
- Basic Move: normally Basic Speed less all fractions (±5 points per ±1 yard/second)
- No Fine Manipulators (-40%)
Meaning of attributesEdit
The below table assumes a human. For nonhumans, read each point above or below the human norm of 10 as a 10% deviation from the racial norm instead.
|Attribute Score||general meaning||details|
|6 or less||Crippling||An attribute this bad severely constrains a lifestyle.|
|7||Poor||Your limitations are immediately obvious to anyone who meets you. This is the lowest score you can have and still pass for “ablebodied.”|
|8 or 9||Below average||Such scores are limiting, but within the human norm. The GM may forbid attributes below 8 to active adventurers.|
|10||Average||Most humans get by just fine with a score of 10.|
|11 or 12||Above average||These scores are superior, but within the human norm|
|13 or 14||Exceptional||Such an attribute is immediately apparent – as bulging muscles, feline grace, witty dialog, or glowing health – to those who meet the person|
|15 or 16||Amazing||An attribute this high draws constant comment and probably guides the person's career choices|
|17 or 18.||Legendary||historical “bests” and remarkable fictional heroes|
|19 or 20||Mythic||astounding even among great heroes in fiction and folklore|
|21+||Superhuman||off-limits to humans, barely suitable for great heroes, okay for deities|
Attributes outside the Below-Above average rangeEdit
GURPS Who's Who 1 and GURPS Who's Who 2 stat several people outside the Below-Above average range in their Attributes. Due to changes between 3e and 4e regarding ST, HT, HP, and FP only DX and IQ are listed below.
Exceptional Attribute (13-14)Edit
- DX 13: King David; William Marshal; Mozart; Lola Montez; Sir Richard Burton; Nikola Tesla
- IQ 13: Akhenaten; Cyrus the Great; Ch'in Shih Huang Ti; Justinian I; Theodora; Sei Shonagon
- DX 14: Shaka Zulu, Roger de Flor; John Wesley Hardin
Amazing Attribute (15-16)Edit
- DX 15: Harry Houdini
- IQ 15: Benjamin Franklin; Nikola Tesla; Albert Einstein; Maimonides; Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- IQ 16: Cardinal Richilieu; Archimedes; St. Augustine of Hippo; John von Neumann