|This is a fansetting from the Steve Jackson Games forums and not part of the GURPS canon.|
In the infinite worlds setting these Earths are connected via permanent 'portals' or 'quasi-wormholes' that allow observation of, communication with, and travel between the various Earths.
- 1 The Earths Table
- 2 Magic
- 3 Space travel technology
- 4 Timeline
- 5 Cross Earth Flavor Text
- 6 Interesting Issues
- 7 Important Notes for Infinite World campaign
- 8 Variant
- 9 Suggested Additional Material
- 10 References and notes
The Earths Table[edit | edit source]
Divergence is figured from Homeline's Earth not our Earth. That is why Infopunk Earth's divergence is 1994 not 2013 Dec 22.
|Divergence||c 100,000 BCE/
|1457||1823 May 17||Unknown||1994|
|Wave||Minus Two||Minus Four||Minus Five||Minus One||Minus Three|
|Initial TL||2^-3^||(4+1)^ to (4+2)^||(5+2)^||(6+1)^/9^||7-8|
|Crossroads-4d Names||Terra I||Terra II||Terra III||Terra IV||Terra V|
|Crossroads-4b Names||Terra or Gaia||native language name||not yet named||not yet named||Autocthonia|
|Crossroads-4e Names||Earth Two||Earth Five||Earth Four||Earth One||Earth Three|
|Crossroads-4c Names||Earth Five||Earth Four||Earth Three||Earth Two||Earth One|
There are tangental realities that are known of:
- The Barsoom John Carter from Dieselpunk Earth accesses is not part of the five above Earths.
- Oct 5, 2013 (InP Date) saw Banestorms on all the Earths that indicated at least two different realities with the other three being possible echoes.
- Two Earths that are in their 30th century with variants of the Legion of Super Heroes that Kal-El traveled to.
Magic[edit | edit source]
However, per the idea of Unified Metaphysical Theories, Magery based along these lines would function normally. Furthermore, Roma Arcana uses mana to represent the availability of spirits to help mages cast spells.
- "Magic" is Effect Shaping, but some specific styles may use Energy Accumulating, instead. In the latter case, the 'energy' is lots of minor thoughtforms.
- "Magery" in this setting
- Five Earths, All in a Row Symbol Magic
- Five Earths, All in a Row Spirit Enchantment
- On Anthropomorphic Personifications
Space travel technology[edit | edit source]
By its very nature Infopunk Earth has the most diversity simply due to the wealth of fictional and abandoned hypothetical material to draw from. However certain designs for ships and propulsion have become dominate on each of the Earths (at least with the military/government) though it can be argued this will change as communications between the various Earths increases.
Timeline[edit | edit source]
The timeline is quite long and involved and so is listed on separate pages. Dates are from the prospective of Infopunk Earth.
Dec 21, 2012 to Dec 31, 2013[edit | edit source]
|Dec 21, 2012 to
|2013 February||2013 March||2013 April||2013 May||2013 June|
|2013 July||2013 August||2013 September||2013 October||2013 November||2013 December|
Jan 1, 2013 to Dec 31, 2014[edit | edit source]
|2014 January||2014 February||2014 March||2014 April||2014 May||2014 June|
|2014 July||2014 August||2014 September||2014 October||2014 November||2014 December|
Cross Earth Flavor Text[edit | edit source]
- Insertion - Infopunk soldiers fight Dieselpunk Nazis...in space.
- On Supervillain Psychology and Behavior
Interesting Issues[edit | edit source]
Given that many countries (abet in different forms) exist on Infopunk, Dieselpunk, and Steampunk the legal situation is a mess.
Lawyers, judges, and lawmakers on Dp and Sp Earth fear going bald pulling all their hair out over issues like:
General legal issues[edit | edit source]
- Does citizenship carry over and if so what do you do if the country you belong to doesn't exist on the Earth you are visiting?
- Then there is the issue of there being three Supreme Courts. Do rulings of the Ip Earth's have any bearing on law in the United States of Dp or Sp Earth as it is the "latest" Supreme Court?
Copyright, Patents, and Trademarks[edit | edit source]
Since many authors and companies that were long gone on Earth-Ip are now alive/exist on Earth Dp and Earth Sp the issue of who owns copyright and trademarks is a total mess.
- With these people and companies now being alive or existing is all their Earth-Ip material now no longer in the Public Domain?
- Who owns the rights to Fantasia (1940), Ip Disney or Dp Disney which is being run by Walt himself?
- If Ip Disney wants to show anything made after their 1942 on Dp Earth does Dp Disney have any rights to the money?
- Can somebody get patent information from Ip Earth and lock down patents that would have been made by other people?
Important Notes for Infinite World campaign[edit | edit source]
Since Infopunk Earth was an echo of our Earth until December 21, 2012 all books, including GURPS, published 2012 and earlier exist on that world. The Oct 5, 2013 (InP Date) Banestorms that occurred on all the Earths will cause even more concern. GURPS Infinite Worlds: Five Earths (2013 May) is used as a plot hook to bring in Homeline, Centrum, or both into the setting.
In many respects they are similar to the sherry of The Nine Worlds though each of the worlds can be directly accessed by Infinity parachronic equipment. Centrum on the other hand must use the two earths in quantum it can access and use space travel to get to the other three realities.
Infinity[edit | edit source]
The close (or perhaps identical) matching of GURPS Infinite Worlds to Homeline events up to 2027 will likely get that reality a Z2 rating just for the Reich-5 information and certainly with all the magic and super powers showing up. GURPS Time Travel could suggest a variant of Homeline also exists.
When Infinity realizes the Steampunk Earth is in Reich-5's Q3 backyard and Centrum can get to Q5 via Dieselpunk Earth and Fantasy Earth while Centrum is still out of range they in all likelihood will change their policy as Infopunk Earth already knows a lot about Infinity and slightly more about Centrum then they do.
Superman's interview (Dieselpunk Earth) revealed that there are at least two Earths out there that have something akin to parachronic travel. If their Legion of Superheroes are close enough to those in the comics then they are in the 30th century; far in advance of Homeline or Centrum in terms of the year.
- Infinity is Coming - a possible way for Homeline to learn about the Five Earths
Centrum[edit | edit source]
While Dieselpunk Earth and Fantasy Earth are close they are not in Centrum's Q8 backyard so Interworld is going to have some issues getting to them. Interworld will quickly learn that the easiest way to get to these other Earths everyone keeps talking about involves space travel and of the two worlds it can access Dieselpunk Earth is the best of the two.
With four other Earths accessible from another Earth there are major incentives for Interworld to smuggle equipment that could relay coordinates on to transports to the other Earths.
They will certainly ramp up their efforts once the probes will tell them three of the Earths are in Quantum they can't normally access. (They still haven't figured out Red Moon's bizarre Quantum nature.)
- On a Clear Day You Can See Infinity - a possible way for Centrum to learn about the Five Earths
Variant[edit | edit source]
Suggested Additional Material[edit | edit source]
- ISOT American 2002 - while this is the 2002 US transported to 1942 it can serve as a rough template on how the Infopunk and Dieselpunk Earths interact.
- GURPS Magic - for spells
- GURPS Fantasy - for types of magic
- GURPS Thaumatology - for alternative systems of magic
- GURPS Mars - for the varies versions of Mars of the Earths
References and notes[edit | edit source]
- At least two years have passed
- three days "behind" Infopunk Earth ie December 28, 2013 on infoPunk Earth is December 25, 1879 on Steampunk Earth.
- three days "ahead" of Infopunk Earth ie December 22, 2013 On infoPunk Earth is December 25, 1941 on Dieselpunk Earth.